29 August, 2012

Eclipse

From my journal:

August 29th - Wed - 2012

As I was driving home this evening the sun was just setting and the full moon was shining brightly. I thought to myself that this would be a great night for a walk. Then I recalled a memory from childhood.
We were staying at my great aunt's house on Cape Cod. I was no more than 8 - but more like 5 or 6. I was asleep in the attic room with my older sister when my Dad woke us up and whisked us out of bed and into the car - leaving my younger brothers still asleep. He excitedly mentioned the moon and eclipse - a word at that time that I didn't understand. I watched the moon - big and full and bright - follow us all the way to the beach. I can recall this moment as if it just happened tonight. My soft, blue cotton night gown with lace ruffles along the edges. The mysterious quiet of the night and that big, full moon following us though the cool, damp summer air. I don't recall much about the eclipse or the beach, but I do remember thinking how magical it all was - and even then I appreciated - and understood - my father's impulse to wake his slumbering children and jump in the car.

1 comment:

Myssie said...

I have tears in my eyes.
I, too, have a clear memory of this night. I must have been 9 or 10, old enough to know what a lunar eclipse is but not old enough to mock it's magic.
I stayed awake as long as I could. My head propped up at the window at the top of Auntie's steps with my face to the moon. Likely sweating.

I woke as Dad walked up the stairs.

I remember driving into the parking lot and the moon sitting high above tall dunes. I didn't know this beach but I loved it already.
It was a magical experience and a great memory.
Thanks for bringing me back there for a moment.
I look forward to providing our children with magical memories of their own.